The Cactus & Succulent Society of Malta was formed in 1951 to help those people who are interested in the study and cultivation of cactii and other succulent plants. To be able to do this we have several activities spread throughout the whole year.
- We hold meetings every 1st Sunday of the month.
- We have a lending library of books dealing with the hobby.
- We organise an exhibition every year.
- Every year we bring a foreign speaker to give us two talks.
- Every year we collect seeds from our members and these seeds are then sold to those who would like to raise cactii or other succulents from seeds.
- Every year we produce a journal, which is given to all the members.
- Send members a monthly Newsletter.
One of the most important of our activities is the meeting we normally have every first Sunday of the month. This meeting starts at 9:45 a.m. and ends about 11:45 a.m. at Din L-Art Helwa, 133 Melita Street, Valletta, where a talk is organised usually with slides. At least once a year we have a guest foreign speaker. We also have plants for sale at each meeting, a free library and a seed list which has just been issued, a monthly news sheet is also issued and a magazine once a year. In addition we have an annual show and competition. The society has a membership of 120 and the average turnout at each meeting is about 60 people.
During these meetings members have the chance to meet each other and exchange views. Sometimes even business cards are exchanged. The library would open, and there will be a formal talk on a particular subject. After the talk the members would be able to buy/exchange plants. These would be surplus plants grown by the members themselves and so they would be rather cheaper than one would find in garden shops.
The membership fee is Lm 3 per annum, but this is heavily subsidized from the money we make from other activities.
For more information contact the secretary :
René Zahra, "Dar ix-Xewk", Triq il Gistakor, Ghaxaq ZTN 11, Malta.